12.13.2010

Memorable Christmas

I remember this one Christmas so vividly. This had to be one one my most memorable Christmases. It was a bad time for my parents. My step dad & my mom weren't doing too good. He had gotten sick and hospital bills and medication took away from the holiday shopping. My mom came to me one day and told me that I may not be getting any gifts. As a kid you don't understand that. You don't comprehend "There won't be a Christmas this year". I cried that night. I was disappointed. All the other kids were going to get the things that they asked for while I sat in a condo teary eyed and heartbroken. Then one day I realized something. I got stuff all year long. Whatever I wanted I got. If I asked for it, I got it. I never had to ask twice. I went into my step dad's room and sat on the bed. Then I looked at him and said, "I don't need anything for Christmas. I mean of course I'd love a ton of gifts but...I understand." My daddy smile and said "That's my big girl," and gave me a kiss on the forehead.


When Christmas Eve came boy was I shocked. I had a decorated Christmas tree and there were gifts under it. My stocking was hung over the fire place. Candles lit everywhere & the Christmas music was playing on the stereo. I was in such awe when I seen it. I begged to open a gift and I was granted just one. I shook boxes. Gave odd-shaped packages a good feel. Until I got to this one box that made no noise when I shook it. Thought it was a gag gift or something. As I tore the pretty purple gift wrapping paper off, my dad smiled as he held his Brandy & Coke in his hand. He watched me happily. When I finally open it I had the most beautiful black & white stuffed tiger I had ever seen. It lay in the box so snug and cozy which was why it didn't make a sound. My daddy beamed with pleasure as I hugged his neck tightly and thanked him for the gift.That had to be the best Christmas I ever had. I will never forget it. If I am ever lucky enough to become a mother, I will do the same for my children the way my parents did for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment